Thursday, April 2, 2009

Things I notice and Things I miss

I do miss my Brother. He died 16 years ago. He was my twin. We were not real close brothers. But we were friends. I think of him on a weekly basis. I miss talking to him. I could tell him things I couldn't mom, dad or my wife.

I do miss my Mom. She died last year. She was from the Netherlands. Well my whole family is Dutch. My brother and I were the first ones in the family born in America. When mom was a young girl in Holland, Hitler was in power and the Germans were in Holland. Mom had so many stories from the war. I tried for years for mom to record her memories. She said it was her memories and her horrors. She did not want to share it.

My Dad is still alive. He was 7 years younger than mom. He was really too young to remember anything of the war years.

It is amazing what you think of when watching old movies. I'm watching "It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world". Clean comedy, fun and great personalities of the time. Jack Benny's Rodchester is in there. Old silent film stars, the 3 Stooges. This really had lots of stars of the day. The beautiful old cars. The big cars with rear fender fins. Beautiful old bildings, parks, roads.

How much has changed in 50 years. The world is going to hell in a handbasket and I hate it.

I hope you have better memories watching old movies.

No comments: