Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Back to Linux

Now that the elections are now over and before the world ends lets talk about Linux.

I have used lots of different versions. Most of them as live CD's.

The only ones that I have installed are Red Hat, Debian, OpenSUSE and Knoppix.

The Live CD's are many. Some have Apple like commands, some like windows 95 and up. The latest one I used was OpenSUSE Gnome menu system. This one I like. The KDE version I don't like as much. Then there are several more windowing systems. So you and play to your hearts content. The software is fun to explore as well. I just downloaded OpenOffice.org 3.0. I like the notes that are able to be added. Firefox, Thunderbird, and Gimp. There are so many great opensource software out there.

Go out and explore. VMWare and lots of linux distros to play under windows. Live CD distros is another way to explore Linux. You can also put those live CD distros on thumb drives. (also known as flash drives.)

I am not a great fan of Apple. I have lost lots of intrest in windows. Linux is one of the oldest and still growing strong operating systems. I think that in five years Linux will have the share over windows. Windows is trying to buy Linux.

Enjoy.

No comments: